Did you know that there has been a 60% increase of people in Australia looking to understand what is burnout? It is heartbreaking, and yet not surprising given the continued pressure of uncertain times and changes due to the pandemic.
Often it is hard for us to notice our own levels of burnout. We are not sure if our exhaustion is normal, or if it is something to be concerned about.
Here are 10 signs to look out for:
- Exhaustion: probably the clearest hallmark feature of burnout. You feel emotionally and physically wiped out on a regular basis. It is getting harder and harder to recharge your energy supplies.
- Brain fog: it feels like you can’t pinpoint exactly how to get your brain to remember things you used to be able to. It seems like it takes so much longer to make decisions that used to be simple enough.
- Compromised immunity: you seem to be getting sick more often, and recovery times take longer, and you are not quite able to get that bounce back.
- Impacted confidence: it does not feel like you are on target, you have self doubt and question whether you have lost your ability to perform.
- Withdrawal: you don’t have the desire, motivation or energy to be around people.
- Feelings of failure: it’s so hard to be present for your loved ones and to be on point with your responsibilities you feel like you are failing or disappointing the people around you.
- Low sense of achievement: you might be late for appointments, procrastinating simple tasks, making more mistakes than usual.
- Zoning out: you just feel like you are physically here, but your mind is not online.
- Emotional roller coaster: you might feel anxious, sad, angry, guilty – because you cannot seem to get things back to what they were before.
- You wish you could escape or change things somehow, but you don’t know how to do it. You feel trapped in a never ending cycle of doing.
If this sounds like you or a loved one, it’s time to STOP and take stock of what you need to recharge, revitalise and refuel. You might like to read this blog https://www.valerieling.com/gift-of-15-minutes/ for some ideas.